Election Officials Needed In Shenandoah County! The hours are long, the pay is low, but your contribution to democracy is enormous!
You are needed because: Approximately 125 Elections Officials are needed to conduct each election and 75 or more officials are needed to be available as alternates.
- You must be a registered voter of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- You cannot hold elected office or be the employee of an elected official.
- You must enjoy meeting people and serving the public.
- You must be able to take direction, pay attention to detail and not be easily distracted.
- You must be available to work the entire day on Election Day
You will be trained: An evening training seminar is held before each election. The session lasts approximately 2-3 hours. You will receive training materials and instruction so that you will feel confident at the polls on Election Day. On Election Day you will work with experienced Election Officials and will have reference materials to refer to as well as access to the Registrar’s Office by telephone.
You will be needed: For all elections during your two year term. The hours are: 5:00 a.m. until all work is completed (usually no later than 9:00 p.m.)
You will have duties at the polls:
- prepare the polling place for voting
- check in voters
- demonstrate voting equipment
- close the polling place, certify results, and complete light paperwork
Responsibilities on Election Day
Election Officers are required to…
- Arrive at the polling place at 5:15 a.m. on Election Day and remain until all tallies have been completed.
- Set up voting equipment and prepare the polling place for voting.
- Lift up to 35 lbs.
- Be friendly and courteous to all voters
- Process voters by checking names on list of registered voters.
- Admit voters to voting machines.
- Tally results.
- Secure voting machines
(Code of Virginia, §24.2-1009: Stealing or tampering with ballot containers, voting or registration equipment, software, records or documents is a Class 5 felony).
- Close the polling place.
You will be paid: $120.00 for working Election Day and you must attend a minimum of one training session per election.
How To Apply to Be an Election Officer
To apply to become an Election Officer:
- Email us at email@example.com with your name, home address, telephone number and email address
- Or, call us at 540-459-6195
- Or, complete the on-line form