ATTENTION! Learn more about the the Shenandoah 2045: A Future Together Comprehensive Planning Process Here! Help shape a better tomorrow together!
The Citizen’s Advisory Committee and Shenandoah County are developing Shenandoah 2045: A Future Together, a community built plan for our County and all those who have a connection to it.
The planning process started in 2019 with majority of the community collaboration occurring from 2020-2022, and input in 2023-2024. As the next Comprehensive Plan is developed, we invite everyone to let us and the community know what you think about the future of Shenandoah County.
Timeline For Completion Of The 2045 Plan
CAC develops Community Survey.
CAC members meet with community organizations.
CAC studies State Code and similar locality Plans.
Studies and reports are prepared.
CAC members meet with community organizations.
District Information Sessions are held.
Community Collaboration Sessions are held.
CAC closes the community survey.
Writing begins on a draft Comprehensive Plan.
Review & Refinement 2023
CAC members finish /refine draft Plan.
Community Review Sessions are held for input on the draft Comprehensive Plan.
CAC members amend and finalize the draft Comprehensive Plan based on public comment.
CAC presents the draft Comprehensive Plan to the Planning Commission and Board.
CAC amends draft Comprehensive plan and finalizes final Comprehensive Plan.
Refinement & Adoption 2024
CAC presents to Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors for final approval.
Adoption of the County’s fourth comprehensive plan, Shenandoah 2045: A Future Together.
CAC members begin work on the first five year review to ensure the Plan continues to represent the desires of the citizens in the County.
Here’s how you can tell us your vision for the future:
From March 2020 to September 2022 the CAC conducted a survey of the options of Shenandoah County residents and visitors as to what they would like to see in a new comprehensive plan and the future of the County. The CAC received 336 responses which represents 970 people based on respondents’ household information. Perhaps you took the survey, perhaps you did not. Either way we encourage you to read the report and let us know any ideas that stand out to you good or bad as if we don’t hear from you we won’t be able to take your ideas into consideration.
Tell everyone what your favorite place is in the County, where you have an idea for how things could be different, and where problems exist on our interactive map. Zoom in to your community and let everyone know where you want to see more detailed improvements such as sidewalks, new stores, or public river or stream access.
The new Comprehensive Plan was released in its first basic format! An online commenting period took place from May 1st, 2023 to August 1st, 2023 to allow for those who can’t make it out to the Community Review Sessions a chance to comment on the proposed Plan.
Community Meetings And Discussions
The plan affects your quality of life by providing decision makers an overview of what County residents – you & me – want their county to be.
The only way to have your views considered is to participate in meetings like this and completing the mapping survey.
District Information Sessions
In the Fall of 2021 Board members from their respective Districts were asked to host District Information Sessions with the intent to inform the public that a Comprehensive Plan exists, as well as Planning, Zoning, and Subdivisions, and to ensure the public knows that they hold an open and vital role with developing the Comprehensive Plan and its recommended policies.
Resources shared at the District Information Sessions can be found below:
11 Sessions Were Held At The Following Dates, Times, And Locations:
- September 29th District 4 @ Woodstock Brewhouse @ 7:00 PM 123 E Court St, Woodstock, VA 22664
- September 30th Districts 5 & 6 @ Toms Brook Firehall @ 6:00 PM 3342 S Main St, Toms Brook, VA 22660
- October 4th District 1 @ Mount Hermon Community Center @7:00 PM 3821 Orkney Grde, Mt Jackson, VA 22842
- October 6th District 2 @ Conicville Fire Department @ 7:00 PM 763 Conicville Rd, Mt Jackson, VA 22842
- October 13th District 2 @ Shenandoah Caverns Cafe @ 7:00 PM 261 Caverns Rd, Quicksburg, VA 22847
- October 14th District 1 @ New Market Fire Department @ 7:00 PM 9771 S Congress St, New Market, VA 22844
- October 21st District 3 @ Fort Valley Library @ 6:30 PM 6190 Woodstock Tower Rd, Fort Valley, VA 22652
- October 27th Districts 5 & 6 @ Strasburg Town Hall @ 6:30 PM 174 E King St, Strasburg, VA 22657
- November 17th Countywide @ Virtual @ 6:00 PM
- November 18th District 3 @ Ridge Runner Brewery @ 6:30 PM 6895 Back Rd, Maurertown, VA 22644
- November 30th District 3 @ Edinburg @ 6:30 PM 200 Stoney Creek Blvd, Edinburg, VA 22824
Community Collaboration Sessions
In the Spring and Summer of 2022 the CAC held a series of 14 community discussions at existing community events across the County as well as in each Town and in other areas of the County through walking tours. These discussions sought to help address improvements, concerns, and ideas on the future that everyone had on the local level as well as the District and County-wide level.
14 Sessions Were Held At The Following Dates, Times, And Locations:
- May 14th, 2022 10am – 1pm @ Strasburg’s Mayfest
- June 25th, 2022 2pm – 5pm @ Woodstock’s ArtFest
- July 4th, 2022 10am – 12pm @ Fort Valley Independence Day Parade
- July 9th, 2022 10am – 1pm @ Mount Jackson’s Battle Of The Bands CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
- August 11th, 2022 at 10 am Downtown Woodstock
- August 12th, 2022 at 11 am Downtown Toms Brook
- August 12th, 2022 6pm – 8pm @ Crossroads Festival
- August 13th, 2022 6pm – 8pm @ Orkney Springs’ Shenandoah Valley Music Festival
- August 19th, 2022 at 11 am Downtown Edinburg
- August 23rd, 2022 at 12:30pm Downtown New Market
- August 23rd, 2022 at 2:00pm Quicksburg And Forestville
- August 24th, 2022 at 12:30pm Downtown Mount Jackson
- August 24th, 2022 at 2:00pm Mount Clifton, Hudson Crossroads, Conicville, and Columbia Furnace
- September 1st, 2022 at 11:00am Downtown Strasburg
Comprehensive Review Sessions
The CAC returned in the Spring and Summer of 2023 with its last set of collaborative events prior to the presentation of the Comprehensive Plan to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors. In this last set of collaborative events the CAC mirrored its collaboration efforts from 2022 yet this time they came with a draft of the new plan as well as visualizations to help show the potential future we could have together. The CAC hosted these final Sessions in order to make sure that the vision of the community was appropriately captured and planned to be implemented. Based on the feedback it was determined that the vision of the community was appropriately captured in the CAC’s work.
5 Sessions Were Held At The Following Dates, Times, And Locations:
- May 6th, 2023 10am – 2pm @ Mount Jackson’s Big Band Bash
- June 23rd, 2023 6pm – 8pm @ Crossroads Festival CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
- June 24th, 2023 11am – 3pm @ Woodstock’s ArtFest
- July 4th, 2023 10am – 12pm @ Fort Valley Independence Day Parade
- July 21st, 2023 6pm – 8pm @ Strasburg’s Front Porch Fridays
- July 22nd, 2023 6pm – 8pm @ Orkney Springs’ Shenandoah Valley Music Festival
Share A Future Together Efforts
In addition to the survey and community discussions, we are launching Shenandoah 2045: SHARE A Future Together where anyone can send in letters, emails, notes, recipes, pictures, videos, audio recordings, art, music, and other aspects to describe the history, present, and future of Shenandoah County.
We are accepting submissions here: https://forms.gle/3VhVugBZK7ZK1DAt5 (Requires a Google Email)
Via email to THinkle@shenandoahcountyva.us with the subject line: Shenandoah 2045: SHARE A Future Together
Or by mail or hand delivery to 600 North Main Street, Suite 107, Woodstock, Va 22664 addressed to Shenandoah 2045: SHARE A Future Together
This mapping tool can be used to see the historical changes that have occurred in Shenandoah County since 1860. Help us find out more about how our County has evolved and see what gaps exist on the map by commenting your memories and memories that have been left out.
Postcards From A Future Together
As we try to solicit more ideas from you, the public, we are sending out postcards that you can share with your family and friends and think about the places that have been, are here now, and the places and ideas that are yet to come to the area. You may see these around and you can write your ideas about the place on the postcard or the future of the County and let us know what you think.