Shenandoah County Small Business Covid-19 Recovery Assistance Grant Application
Applications Due December 1, 2020
We understand the unprecedented hard times businesses have faced due to Covid-19. To that end, The Shenandoah County Industrial Development Authority, in partnership with Shenandoah County Economic Development, the towns of Edinburg, Mount Jackson, New Market, Strasburg, Toms Brook and Woodstock and the Shenandoah County Chamber of Commerce and Lord Fairfax Small Business Development Center have created a Small Business Covid-19 Recovery Assistance Grant.
Qualifying Businesses can apply for up to $15,000 to include:
- Up to six (6) months or a maximum in rent or mortgage relief
- Reopening expenses, utility payments, payroll or debt service related to capital expenditures such as business equipment or personal property
* Receipts or proof of qualified expenses must be provided to receive payment.
Please note that this grant application is a public document and the names of the businesses awarded may become public once funds are disbursed. Grant recipients will receive their check by mail via the Shenandoah County Industrial Development Authority.
- Rent/Mortgage Payments from March 12, 2020 – September 12, 2020
- Utility Payments to include electric, gas, water/sewer, internet, cable, phone.
- Loan payments for capital expenditures such as:
- Business equipment
- Machinery & tools
- Business personal property.
- Updates to space and technology related to reopening safely including:
- Technology such as laptops, software, and touch-free credit card payment systems to accommodate social distancing or e-commerce
- Furniture to expand outdoor seating
- Equipment and supplies to promote health and safety of employees and customers
- Professional services related to the design and construction/alteration of the built environment necessary to promote physical and social distancing, as well as the actual costs for alterations
- Sanitization (cleaning service and/or supplies)
- Job training, classes and/or technical assistance such as:
- Pivoting or modifying the business model
- Training for long term sustainability planning
- Initial cleaning and disinfection services prior to reopening
Receipts and/or check copies must be provided for all eligible expenses as proof of payment before funds will be disbursed.
- Must be in good standing with regard to state and local taxes and business licenses
- Must be able to produce recent financial statements such as: Profit & Loss statements, recent balance sheets and/or recent tax returns
- Have less than 50 Full Time Equivalent (FTE)* employees prior to March 12, 2020 or is a newly opened business**
*Full Time Equivalent (FTE) – the number of employees required to achieve one week (40 hours) of work. For example, one full time (40 hours) employee and two part-time (20 hours each) employees would be 2FTE.
- Has been negatively impacted by COVID-19. The business must have suffered business interruption due to COVID-19 required closures as measured by a reduction in gross revenue (Year to Date (YTD) 2020/2019), which may include but is not limited to:
- Reduced sales or suspended operations
- Increased costs related to COVID-19 prevention measures
- Disrupted supply network leading to a shortage of critical inventory or materials
- Must have a physical location in Shenandoah County or one of its incorporated town limits. Home-based businesses can qualify for up to 50% funding of $7,500.
- Must employ at least 1 employee (sole proprietors included)
- Maximum NET revenues for 2019 at or below $500,000
- Provides local or regional services, including those in the program’s areas of emphasis:
- tourism related businesses,
- accommodations* (i.e. hotel, motel, bed and breakfast),
- restaurants/food service*,
- professional services* (i.e. legal, design, real estate, plumbing, etc.),
- cultural & educational services,
- arts & entertainment
- tourism- facing nonprofit organizations to include arts, theatres, museums and thrift stores with a physical location that are open to the public
- health practitioners,
- personal care (i.e. beauty/barbershop, nail salon, dry cleaner, fitness centers and more).
* Owners with more than one franchise within the County are only eligible to apply once and will only be eligible for one grant regardless of the number of locations within the County.
**New businesses are eligible to apply. Businesses in operation for less than 1 year are eligible for 50% funding or up to $7500.
There is no application fee to apply.
Grantees will be reported to the U.S. Treasury Department and/or Virginia Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD), as part of the County of Shenandoah’s required report and any other public document as may be required by the Corona Virus Aid Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”) or Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). Information provided, except for confidential financial statements as allowed by Sections 2.2-3705.6 and 58.1-3 of the Code of Virginia are subject to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) regulations.
Please email complete applications or any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed applications may also be mailed to:
Shenandoah County Tourism & Economic Development
Attn: Jenna French
600 North Main Street, Suite 101
Woodstock, VA 22664
email email@example.com for a fillable Microsoft Word or paper version of the application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.