Do I need a permit or not?
A zoning permit is required for any improvement made to your property even if you are exempt from obtaining a building permit. Contact the Zoning Administrator for further information.
108.1 When applications are required:
- Construction or demolition of a building or structure. Installations or alterations involving (i) the removal or addition of any wall, partition or portion thereof, (ii) any structural component, (iii) the repair or replacement of any required component of a fire or smoke rated assembly, (iv) the alteration of any required means of egress system, (v) water supply and distribution system, sanitary drainage system or vent system, (vi) electric wiring, (vii) fire protection system, mechanical system, or fuel supply systems, or (viii) any equipment regulated by the USBC.
- For change of occupancy, application for a permit shall be made when a new certificate of occupancy is required under Section 103.3.
- Movement of a lot line that increases the hazard to or decreases the level of safety of an existing building or structure in comparison to the building code under which such building or structure was constructed.
- Removal or disturbing of any asbestos containing materials during the construction or demolition of a building or structure, including additions.
For a list of Permit Exemptions, click the link below. It is always best to contact the Building Inspections Department to verify if your project meets any of these exemptions prior to any work being performed.
*** Due to an increase in fraudulent activity all permits must now be obtained by the license holder or a permit authorization Affidavit must be submitted by the license holder on the form obtainable below.
If you are applying for a Residential Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, or Fuel Gas Permit, please complete the Universal Application Form to apply.
SINGLE FAMILY DWELLINGS
HOME SWEET HOME. For the construction of a New Residential Single Family Dwelling, click the link below for the application packet.
RESIDENTIAL DECK ADDITIONS
Decks are a great extension of your home, outdoor entertainment, or a place to grill. For the construction of a residential deck addition, click the link below for the application packet.
ADDITIONS (Excluding Decks)
UPGRADE TIME. For the construction of an addition attached to the existing dwelling, click the link below for the application packet.
For any interior renovations within an existing dwelling, click the link below for the application packet.
Man Cave or Lady Lounge? If you are finishing an existing basement or a portion of, click the link below for the application packet.
IN-GROUND OR ABOVE GROUND POOLS
Keep cool during the summer? Great, however to ensure the safety of you, your family, friends, and neighbors, click the link below for your permit packet.
POLE BUILDINGS (EXCLUDES FARM STRUCTURES)
For your post and beam type buildings to store your goodies, click the link below for the application packet.
STORAGE SHEDS & METAL CARPORTS
Need a place to put your mower or a she shed for the lady of the house? As simple as they are, they still need to meet a few requirements. Refer to the link below for the application packet.
Ahhh, renewable energy! For your roof or ground mount solar arrays, refer to the application packet below and start saving energy.
When the cows come home! For the construction of a farm structure, you must complete the forms within the packet below. Follow the guidelines carefully. If adding electric to an existing or new farm structure, the power company will require approval from this department and the forms within the packet are still required.
NEW COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS, ADDITIONS, RENOVATIONS, & CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION
For the construction of a new commercial building, addition, or renovations, please complete the forms within the packet below.
SIGNS (WALL, ROOF, GROUND, PROJECTION, MARQUEE, & PORTABLE)
Please click the link below for the forms to be completed for your sign permit.
Want to relieve some stress, lets demo! Click the link below for the application packet.
TENTS OR OTHER MEMBRANE STRUCTURES (Exceeding 900 square feet).
Having a wedding or other event and you are putting up a tent? If yes, then click the link below for the required information and forms to be submitted.
FIRE ALARM OR SPRINKLER SYSTEMS
If you are installing or repairing either a fire alarm or a sprinkler system, you must complete the permit application form. Also two sets of NICET Certified plans are required. Below is the Fire Alarm & Sprinkler Checklist form that is to be submitted prior to schedule an inspection.
KITCHEN EXHAUST HOODS & SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS
If you are installing a new kitchen hood or changing appliances in an existing system, please complete the permit application form. Two sets of drawings are to be submitted to this office for review and approval. The system must be pre-checked by the installer prior to scheduling the inspection.
- Seasonal Structures Requirement Sheet
- Owner’s Affidavit
- Permit Authorization Affidavit
- Gas Worksheet
- Special Entertainment Permit Application
- Zoning Site Plan Form
- Special Inspection Guidelines & Procedures
- Special Inspection Final Report
- VDH Request Form