600 North Main Street
Woodstock, VA 22664
MINUTES OF MEETING OF
THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
December 12, 2017
A regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors was held at 9:00 a.m. in the Board Meeting Room, 600 North Main Street, Woodstock, Virginia on December 12, 2017. The following members of the Board of Supervisors were present: Chairman Conrad A. Helsley, Vice Chairman Richard Walker, Steve Baker, Cindy Bailey and Dick Neese. Others present included County Administrator Mary T. Price, Assistant County Administrator Evan Vass, Director of Finance Harrison Nicholson, Deputy Clerk Chris Sherman and County Attorney Jason Ham. Supervisor Shruntz was not in attendance.
Others in attendance included: Tim Williams, Fire Chief; Jason Malloy, Director of Emergency Communications; Peggy Lahn, Animal Shelter Manager
An invocation was given by former Board of Supervisor David E. Ferguson followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Vice Chairman Walker made a Motion, seconded by Supervisor Bailey to approve the revised meeting agenda for December 12, 2017 including the Planning Commission recommendations which were made at the December 7, 2017 planning commission meeting. The Motion passed by a verbal vote of 5-0 as follows: Ayes: Baker, Bailey, Neese, Walker and Helsley. Shruntz was absent.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (On new business and consent agenda items only) – No comments were received.
CONSIDERATION OF CONSENT AGENDA
Vice Chairman Walker made a Motion, seconded by Supervisor Bailey to approve the consent agenda. The Motion was approved by a verbal vote of 5-0 as follows: Ayes: Baker, Bailey, Neese, Walker and Helsley.
- Approval of minutes from November 28, 2017 meeting.
PUBLIC HEARING – No public hearings were scheduled.
- Chairman Helsley presented Employee Service Awards to the following employees:
Wesley Clark with Emergency Communications Center for 5 years of service.
Pat Felling with Solid Waste Management for 5 years of service.
Sarah Gough with Fire and Rescue for 5 years of service.
Dale Orebaugh with Fire and Rescue for 5 years of service.
Roger Robinson with Fire and Rescue for 5 years of service.
Summer Ruhling with Fire and Rescue for 5 years of service.
James Clark with Sanitary Districts for 5 years of service.
Dawn Mantz with Fire and Rescue for 10 years of service.
Greg Seal with Fire and Rescue for 10 years of service.
Shirley Stultz with Solid Waste Management for 10 years of service.
Jason Smith with Community Development for 10 years of service.
Randy Jones with General Properties for 10 years of service.
Michael Barrick with Sanitary District for 10 years of service.
Rick Funkhouser with Fire and Rescue for 15 years of service.
Tanja Scaggs with the Treasurer’s Office for 15 years of service.
Matt Mantz with Solid Waste Management for 20 years of service.
David Lonas with the Sanitary District for 30 years of service.
- James Kelly, CPA with Robinson Farmer and Cox presented the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the fiscal year ended June 2017. He introduced RFC Associate Sadee Gibson and provided the objective, opinions and compliance of the entire audit. Mr. Kelly stated that the County received the highest level of ranking with an Unmodified Audit Opinion. Mr. Kelly said that the County’s net worth is $29.1 million with a total positive variance of $5.4 million dollars. He added that the 2017 revenue totaled $69,480,605 and the expenditures totaled $64,181,491. Mr. Kelly commended the County Treasurer, Cindy George and her staff for an excellent tax collection rate.
Ms. Price thanked Mr. Kelly and Director of Finance Harrison Nicholson and County Treasurer Cindy George for all their efforts in putting this favorable audit together.
STAFF REPORTS and COMMENTS:
- Peggy Lahn, Animal Shelter Manager reflected on the past year and the high volume of seizures and hoarding cases that have taken a toll on the Shelter’s budget. She added that the financial, mental and emotional stress on the shelter to save the animals is overwhelming; however, the donations from the public continue to have a positive effect. She commended her outstanding team of caretakers for going above and beyond and invited board members to stop by the shelter and adopt a furry friend.
- Tim Williams, Fire Chief addressed the board and acknowledged some of the difficulties experienced in the fire and rescue arena during the winter months and holiday season.
- Jason Malloy, Director of the Emergency Communications Center spoke about how this time of year effects operations in the Communications Center. He stated that the volume of calls in the 911 EOC increase due to an increase in chimney fires, fraud against the elderly, and the onset of influenza and suicide attempts. Malloy indicated the Request for Proposal for a new radio system is due January 10 and the committee will begin reviewing all applicants at that time.
- Harrison Nicholson, Director of Budget and Finance distributed the October 2017 Revenue and Expenditure reports and stated they are comparable to this time last year. Chairman Helsley was pleased to see the Sales Tax revenue showing a steady increase.
OLD BUSINESS – No old business was scheduled.
PLANNING COMMISSION ITEMS:
- Consideration of a Level II Home Business/Special Use Permit – Martine’s Hair Salon
Supervisor Baker made a Motion, Seconded by Vice Chairman Walker to approve the SUP for Martine’s Hair Salon. The Motion passed by a 5-0 roll call vote as follows:
Baker aye Bailey aye
Neese aye Shruntz absent
Walker aye Helsley aye
- Consideration of a Level II Home Business/Special Use Permit – Carlson Plumbing Inc.
Supervisor Baker made a Motion, Seconded by Vice Chairman Walker to approve the SUP for Carlson Plumbing, Inc. The Motion passed by a 5-0 roll call vote as follows:
Neese aye Shruntz absent
Bailey aye Baker aye
Walker aye Helsley aye
3. Consideration of a Level II Home Business/Special Use Permit – Patricia A. Bennett
Supervisor Walker made a Motion, Seconded by Supervisor Baker to approve the SUP for a wedding venue by Patricia Bennett. The Motion passed by a 5-0 roll call vote as follows:
Shruntz absent Baker aye
Neese aye Bailey aye
Walker aye Helsley aye
- Consideration to schedule a date for the Organizational Meeting.
Chairman Helsley suggested the meeting take place on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
Supervisor Baker made a Motion, seconded by Supervisor Neese to approve the scheduling of the Organizational meeting for January 2, 2018. The Motion passed with a verbal vote of 5-0 as follows: Ayes: Baker, Bailey, Neese, Walker, and Helsley. Shruntz was absent.
PUBLIC COMMENTS ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS (and other matters not previously the subject of a public hearing at this meeting)
Patricia Botts of Oak Tree Road, Fort Valley thanked Supervisors Bailey and Shruntz for last being fiscally responsible during their four years of service on the Board.
COUNTY ATTORNEY COMMENTS – There were no comments made by Jason Ham.
BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
Supervisor Bailey thanked Ms. Botts for her comments and said it was a pleasure to serve.
Vice Chairman Walker thanked Supervisors Bailey and Shruntz for their service and willingness to listen to their constituents.
COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR COMMENTS
Ms. Price recognized Jason Ham, County Attorney for his recent appointment to the Legal Elite of the Virginia Business Magazine and Chairman Helsley congratulated Mr. Ham and said he is proud that Jason is a part of the Shenandoah County team.
OTHER BUSINESS - no other business was discussed.
CLOSED SESSION(S) - no closed sessions were scheduled.
With no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 10:14 a.m.
Conrad A. Helsley, Chairman
Mary T. Price, Clerk of the Board