The Shenandoah County Library System is accepting applications for a part-time Cataloging Assistant (18 hrs/week). The person holding this position performs technical paraprofessional library work, including the cataloging and physical processing of print and non-print materials. In consultation with the Senior Cataloger, the Assistant Cataloger performs work in accordance with established library priorities and ensures the accuracy of completed tasks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS
- Performs copy cataloging in accordance with such national standards as the Dewey Decimal System and Library of Congress Subject Headings.
- Performs regular database maintenance to ensure the accuracy of online records.
- Supports the Assistant Director in tracking and receiving orders.
- Prepares materials for patron use, which may include the creation of spine labels and book jackets, the repackaging of non-print materials, and the repairing of older or donated items.
- Assists in collection development and management, through consultation with library purchasers and the creation of circulation reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate for this position will possess or acquire:
- An ability to search for, review, and edit bibliographic records found in cataloging resource databases and to import such records into the library’s computerized catalog.
- A working knowledge of Dewey-based cataloging standards, MARC or metadata formatting, and authority controls.
- A working knowledge of TLC products or similar automated library systems.
- Strong computer, keyboarding, and proofreading skills.
- An ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
An Associate’s degree is required; a Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Work experience commensurate with the technical library work required of the position is strongly preferred.
All candidates must submit a completed Shenandoah County application for employment, which may be found at https://shenandoahcountyva.us/administration/employment/. Applications along with optional resume and cover letter may be submitted to the attention of Sandy Whitesides, Library Director at 514 Stoney Creek Blvd. Edinburg, VA. 22824. Electronic submission may be sent in advance of mailed applications to email@example.com. Salary scale Grade 13 begins at $13.88/hr. Applications accepted through Friday, April 21. Interviews begin week of April 24. Projected start date May 15-22.
The Shenandoah County Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job posting is no longer active.